Palm Springs International Short Film Fest, Trina Turk, and more!

There’s a lot going on in Palm Springs this week—and it’s a perfect time to explore our desert playground: the crowds are gone, low summer hotel rates are here, and there’s still so much to see and do!

Start with paying homage to Palm Springs’ silver screen pedigree both past and present at the Palm Springs International Short Film Festival & Film Market, “ShortFest” (June 19 – 25). The 18th annual Palm Springs International Short Film Festival showcases more than 320 short films from around the globe.

Trina Turk for Banana Republic, Photo courtesy www.TrinaTurk.com

Need something to wear to a screening or after-party, or just a swanky dinner out on the town? You’re in luck: part-time desert dweller and Palm Springs modern icon, designer Trina Turk, has just unveiled her new summer line for retailer Banana Republic. When Banana Republic was seeking someone to design a line based on the iconic Palm Springs style, Trina Turk was a natural choice. Trina has a long-standing love affair with Palm Springs—she opened her first store here 10 years ago, and maintains quite the pied-a-terre, a 1936 Palm Springs house called “Ship of the Desert,” with husband Jonathan Skow (designer of the menswear line, Mr. Turk).

Kate in Trina Turk (a dog is always a perfect accessory).

I first fell in love with Trina Turk’s inimitable style at her Palm Springs store (891 North Palm Canyon Drive, Palm Springs) many years ago (where I also had occasion to meet the charming Ms. Turk). Ten years later, my closet simply bulges with her colorful designs. They are the perfect fit for my own romantic nostalgia and fondness for great hulking swimming pools, the retro cocktail culture, clean lines, and all things glamorous (yet tailored). I have worn her dresses to weddings, christenings, film premiers, dinner parties, photo shoots, while traveling, to the farmer’s market and backyard barbecues. Her versatile style and graphic prints are the perfect complement to the carefree yet elegant Palm Springs lifestyle.

The Palm Springs’ Trina Turk store also features her menswear line, Mr. Turk. Palm Springs is also home to the first ever Trina Turk residential boutique! Find pillows and upholstery in your favorite Trina signature prints as well as Missoni towels, Jonathan Adler ceramics and accessories, hip house wares for the home and garden by Alice Supply Co., Trink Turk Candles and more!

Prices for her 60-piece Banana Republic Trina Turk collection are considerably lower than her namesake label (carried at her eponymous stores, boutiques and department stores), ranging from $34.50 to $150. Scoop them up before they sell out! Visit the Banana Republic at El Paseo Village (73-425 El Paseo, Palm Desert) to find your own piece of the iconic Palm Springs lifestyle.

Now that you’re looking so lovely, head on over to ShortFest or simply out for dinner at one of Palm Springs’ amazing restaurants—either way, looking so glamorous, you’re sure to have a Palm Springs experience to remember!

About David J Castello

David J Castello is the Editor-in-Chief and Chief Operating Officer for the Castello Cities Internet Network (PalmSprings.com, Nashville.com, WestPalmBeach.com, etc). His debut novel, The Diary of an Immortal (1945-1959) was published in 2016.

Check Also

Bronze Statue of Sonny Bono in downtown Palm Springs on Palm Canyon Drive

Sonny Bono’s Dream

PalmSprings.com has played a significant role in creating a “year-round tourist destination” in Palm Springs. …